Don’t Create an Iguana Oasis: Tips to Keep Your Property Pest-Free
Iguanas are becoming increasingly common because they’ve found the perfect environment to live in – our landscape! But, while some people may find them fascinating, you don’t want them to take up residence on your property.
First, it’s important to understand what attracts iguanas to an area in the first place. These lizards love any space that provides food, water, and shelter. So if you have any of these things on your land, chances are you are attracting iguanas.
Here’s what you need to do to deter iguanas from living rent-free on your property:
- Do you have a pool? Consider getting it screened so the iguanas can’t get to the water.
- Do you have fruit trees? Pick up any fallen fruit, so the iguanas don’t have a food source.
- Do you have dense landscaping? Consider trimming it back, so the iguanas don’t have a place to hide.
Allowing these invasive reptiles to make themselves at home on your property could be costly.
- Iguanas feed on foliage, flowers, and fruits (except citrus), which can damage and destroy your landscape.
- Iguanas like to dig lengthy tunnels that could create significant structural damage to the property.
- Iguanas use pools as their personal toilets. Taking proper steps to handle iguana feces in pools is vital for everyone’s health and safety.
If you’re struggling to evict these green reptiles from your business, community center, or common areas, let the SFM Landscape team help you find a solution to keep your space iguana-free.