April is National Lawn Care Month! Whether it’s a commercial space, back yard, or public park, Americans love their green spaces. They want to spend time in their yards and think lawn upkeep is important. Did you know:
- Lawns trap more than 12 million tons of dust and dirt annually.
- Turfgrass, like that found in our lawns, is much cooler than asphalt or cement, acting as an “air conditioner” for the surrounding area. Lawns can be 22 degrees cooler than urban asphalt “heat islands.”
- Healthy turfgrass has many miles of fibrous roots that hold soil and filter rainwater. A single grass plant can have more than 300 miles of roots.
- It is estimated that a 50 by 50-foot lawn releases enough oxygen for a family of four, while absorbing carbon dioxide, hydrogen fluoride, and perosyacetyle nitrate.
- Research has found that people find stress relief and healing when interacting with nature or even when just viewing nature on a computer screen or through a window.
If you don’t have grass surrounding your business, these are great reasons to incorporate a grassy area. And if you do, be sure to make the most of it! Reach out to the experts at SFM to learn how to best incorporate or care for the grass at your commercial property.
In the meantime, throw down a blanket, kick off your shoes, and be sure to spend some time enjoying your lawn this month!