Many commercial properties like to update their landscaping this time of year. Swap out the deep colors synonymous with winter holidays for the vivid hues of spring and summer. And while many relish the process of selecting the flowers and shrubs, few take the time to consider the ground covering. Granted, choosing between mulch or stones is not as exciting, but it’s just as important.
Trying to decide what to use to cover the ground in your landscaping can be just as important as selecting the plants, and there are a lot of options available. Here’s some information that will hopefully help you the next time you’re unsure.
SHREDDED HARDWOOD MULCH
Mulch is widely used in commercial landscaping. It’s available in brown, red and black and creates a natural look.
- Easiest and cheapest to install
- Retains moisture in soil, so you water less frequently
- Dark, brown color contrasts well with plants and lawn
- Low maintenance
- Must replace every 1-2 years
- Attracts insects
- Color fades in areas exposed to direct sunlight
- Can wash away in areas that flood or beneath downspouts
Rock mulch is any type of decorative stone used as groundcover. Stones create a more formal look to a planting bed and a feel for the Southwestern.
- Does not need annual replacement
- Available in a huge variety of colors, shapes and sizes
- Rock mulch containing very angular pieces works well on slopes.
- Gravel can be expensive and difficult to install
- Rocks require weed barrier underneath, as well as an edging material
- Difficult to add or replace plants once gravel and weed barrier is installed.
- Rock mulch can get very warm on hot days. You must make sure to choose plants appropriately.
Need help with ground cover selection, clean up, or installation? Give us a call!